Each fall, lawns in Hampton Roads are filled with machines that pull soil from the ground and then a spreader can be seen distributing seeds around the yard. That seems like a lot of work! This necessary evil pays dividends for a thick, lush lawn next season.
Here are the basics:
- In Hampton Roads, we only aerify and seed cool season fescue lawns in the fall.
- The aerification process pulls soil, generally clay in this region, out of the ground and leaves the deposit on top of the soil. Over time, this deposit will disperse.
- This new hole increases oxygen, relieves toxic gas and generates a pathway for the existing plant to find water and nutrients.
- Introducing new seeds to these holes will increase the amount of plants on your lawn.
- New plants will produce a dense, lush and green oasis on your lawn.
Unfortunately, the weather of summer is not kind to the cool season turf of this mid-Atlantic region. If you have bare spots or sections of your fescue lawn that need improvement, aerification and seeding will introduce new plants and generate a platform for success for future summer vitality and overall turf health.
As always, if we can help with your seeding and aerification needs, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.